daisyq

daisyq

The Yearling
Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
News From Tartary: A Journey from Peking to Kashmir - Peter  Fleming I enjoyed this a lot. Peter Fleming (Ian's brother) spends several months travelling through Central Asia in 1935, with Swiss journalist Ella Maillart. Their aim is to get news from a conflict-torn Chinese province that no one has heard from in two years. It's a kind of intrepid and dangerous travel that wouldn't be likely these days; they travel by train, lorry, camel, donkey, horse, and on foot; at each checkpoint they risk being arrested or shot as spies, or being turned back.The political commentary was pretty impenetrable to me at this distance, and you do have to tolerate 30s British colonial attitudes to other countries and ethnic groups. However, most of it is about the day to day travel experience, and this is done very well.He manages to capture the occasional tedium of travel (e.g. bureaucratic delays) and make it interesting to read about. He is interested in the people around him, both those they meet on the way and their various guides on the journey. I enjoyed reading about his travel companion and at some stage I'll try reading her version of events [b:Forbidden Journey|680543|Forbidden Journey|Ella K. Maillart|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348993254s/680543.jpg|666936]